John Booth, in Extending Magic Beyond Credibility
, his thirteenth (and
possibly best) book on magic, looks back on his more than 70 years of experience
with the conjuring arts and considers some of its most enduring mysteries, intriguing
questions and fascinating personalities.
From legendary effects such as Robert-Houdin's Light & Heavy Chest and
the Indian Rope Trick to the origins of dove magic, ventriloquism and automata,
Extending Magic Beyond Credibility has the famous Booth blend of secrets,
biography, philosophy and romantic history.
Whether you're a student of magic history or simply one fascinated with the
art and its many facets, you'll find Extending Magic Beyond Credibility
is more than just a book of magic history. It's a captivating read you'll find
difficult to put down, written by a man who not only knows his subject...but
who lived it as well.
272 pages, photo-illustrated.
Foreword by Silvan of Rome
1. Magic that Jolts Audiences: Richiardi Jr.
2. Kevin James: Master of Shock Magic
3. Todd Robbins: The Sideshow World
4. Sylvester the Jester: The Self-Mayhem Principle
HARRY HOUDINI AND MAX MALINI
5. Revelations about "Houdini's Hollywood Estate"
6. Malini and His Violin
FOUR BRIEF PIECES TO PONDER OR ENJOY
7. Aloha: Final Tribute to Dai Vernon
8. Do Morality or Ideology Affect Art in Magic?
9. That FATAL Signet Ring: A Short, Short Story
10. Book Reviews: The Achilles Heel of Magazines
Reflection 1: Desiderata
BRILLIANT MAGIC WITH BEAUTIFUL BIRDS
11. Centuries of Development Unfolded
A STAR AMONG STARS
12.Thurston: A Truly Great Magazine
13. Magic's Most Famous Waltz: The Zenda
14. Memorable Music for Master Magicians
AVERTING CATASTROPHE: MAGIC AND POLITICS
15. The Legendary Robert-Houdin Light and Heavy Chest Examined
FASCINATING OPPORTUNITIES IN VENTRILOQUISM
16. Ventriloquial Stunts: From Pactolus to Today
17. The Illusion of Voice Throwing
18. Dolls That Smoke: Bodiless Heads that Talk
19. New Era Ventriloquism: THe Hamills
THE PUPPETRY BRANCH OF WIZARDRY
20. Puppetry Across the Spectrum
21. The Duck that Made John Salisse Famous
22. His Left Hand is His Fortune
23. Machines that "Think" and Perform Like Humans and Birds
THE GREAT INDIAN ROPE TRICK
24. Where, When and How the Reports Began
25. My Experiences in India and Tibet Searching for A Rope Miracle
26. Illusionists Who Have Attempted to do it
27. The Last Word: Myth or Reality?
Bibliography and Recommended Reading
About The Author
This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 03 May, 2012.